Osmosis Investment Management is looking for a motivated individual to join the quantitative analysis team.
This is a full-time position with a proposed start date of 03/04/2023. Please see below for the application process.
Osmosis launched in 2009 and is majority owned by management and employees. The company is headquartered in London with a growing presence in North America.
Osmosis believes that to gain mainstream adoption, sustainable investment should not come at the cost of financial returns and that sustainability metrics, if quantifiable and objective in nature, can be applied to mainstream portfolios to generate alpha. Our range of systematic equity strategies target better risk adjusted returns while simultaneously delivering reduced environmental footprints to their respective benchmarks.
Government Pension Funds, State Pension Funds, Insurance Companies, Foundations, Endowments, Family Offices and Banks, are amongst our client roster spanning Australia, North and South America, Mainland Europe, Nordics, and the UK.
Monument, London, UK / Hybrid (up to 2 days remotely)
Osmosis’ quantitative research team links the environmental research team and the portfolio management team using our proprietary environmental database and a quantitative research framework to conduct in-depth research into Osmosis’ resource efficiency (RE) factor. The process is highly data-driven combining Osmosis’ in-house environmental data with financial and economic data including, but not limited to, market data, asset pricing factors, balance sheet information, and financial ratios. The team conducts targeted research programmes into the alpha opportunity of the RE factor in different sectors and geographies, as well as its interaction with traditional style factors. Responsibilities of the team also include developing the existing RE model as well as exploring alternative data sources to identify new sustainable investment signals.
We are looking for a motivated quantitative analyst seeking to establish themselves as an essential member of the quantitative research team based in London. We offer a dynamic role with diverse responsibilities ranging from desk research to client facing interactions.
This is an intellectually stimulating role in an energetic research team in one of the fastest growing sustainable asset managers in London. The role also provides exposure to the many job areas of a systematic investment manager ranging from environmental and quantitative research to portfolio management and execution. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to work independently and take direct ownership of their work.
- Analyse and monitor the performance of the Resource Efficiency factor
- Identify relationships between corporate environmental footprints and financial performance
- Develop frameworks for model improvement and development
- Proactively investigate new sustainable alpha opportunities
- Conduct ad-hoc research projects for internal use and external dissemination to clients
- Apply statistical models and draw inferences from model outputs
- Communicate findings concisely to the research team and portfolio management
- Keep on top of developments in the academic sustainable finance literature and ESG investment industry
Requirements and qualifications
- A keen interest in corporate sustainability and the role of investment management in driving the transition to a green economy [required]
- An high-level understanding of the integration of sustainability into portfolios [required]
- A self-starter with strong numerical skills able to ask the right questions and to come up with creative research solutions [required]
- A degree in mathematics, statistics, data science, computer science, economics or equivalent [required]
- Good understanding of econometric models (time series & cross-sectional) [required]
- Strong programming skills, problem-solving ability, and experience in handling large data [required]
- Proficiency in Python and R [required]
- Clear, concise, and proactive communicator [required]
- Detail-oriented [required]
- Willing to take ownership of their work, working both independently and within a small team [required]
- Experience working in a data-driven research environment [desirable]
- Experience undertaking quantitative analysis from idea inception to implementation [desirable]
- Understanding of fundamental financial concepts and portfolio management [desirable]
Send CV (1 page max) + cover letter (1 page max) to [email protected]
Please make sure the cover letter addresses the following questions:
- Why you are interested in working for an asset manager that has sustainability at the core of its investment thesis? (150 words max)
- Does corporate sustainability and return maximization present a trade-off or are they complementary? Why? (150 words max)
- How can sustainable investment effect change in the real economy? (150 words max)
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to complete a data-driven analytical task demonstrating their problem solving and coding skills.
Following the successful completion of the task there will be an in-person interview.